I made these pajamas last month, but just got around to taking photos last night. I’ve been wearing them a lot!
I tried to get Bonnie to be in the shot with me, but the little diva wanted nothing to do with it.
Burda 12-2006-125 is my go-to pattern for when I want to make flannel pajamas. I think this is the fifth time I’ve used this pattern. Pajamas are cheap and readily available in RTW, but I like to make my own because the length is usually too short, and the flannel is often thin, poor quality, and some boring plaid or snowflake print. I prefer thick and beefy flannels, even if they don’t drape as nicely.
I bought six yards because flannel usually shrinks a lot. You probably noticed that I didn’t do print matching – if I did, I probably would have had to buy 12 yards!
Since the print is busy enough on its own – and I couldn’t find my cording – I decided to skip on the piping. I also omitted the pockets and hem band details.
I cut a 38 top and 44 bottom.
Fitting adjustments for the shirt:
- 3/8″ forward shoulder adjustment
- 3/8″ rounded back adjustment
- 1/2″ swayback tuck
- Lengthened the sleeves 3/4″
- Added 1.5″ width to the hemline
Fitting adjustments for the pants:
- Lengthened the bottoms 1″ through the rise
- Added 11.5″ to the leg length (they are cropped length)
- Added 5/8″ “body space” to the back crotch curve by slashing the pattern horizontally at where the back crotch curve starts to curve upward, then sliding it over 5/8″ toward the side seam and truing the side seam curve afterward.
- Cut the elastic to the size 38 rather than 44 measurement.
When I did the waistband for the pants I didn’t do a casing as recommended in the instructions. Instead I decided to finish it like I would finish the waistband on a pair of knit pants. I sewed the ends of the elastic together, placed it against the wrong side of the pants, and serged it to the flannel, stretching it to fit. I used the longest stitch length possible on my serger to avoid overworking the elastic. Then I folded the upper edge of the pants over and stitched it in place with my regular sewing machine. Much quicker than doing a traditional casing, and less bulky too. The downside is that you have to be fairly certain about your elastic measurement- no easy adjusting after the fact, unless you’re willing to unpick those serger stitches. It is also a good idea to make the elastic a little bit more snug than you would with a casing, since the woven fabric will stretch it out a little bit more than it would for a knit.
For my light source I used a single 24″x36″ square softbox about 45º to my right, positioned high and aimed down toward my face. A large silver reflector was placed directly to my left to help fill in the shadows.
My heavy but much-adored Canon 70-200 f/2.8 lens was used for the modeled shots, and my Canon 100mm f/2.8 macro lens was used for the detail shots. I think I shot the full body photos at 1/125, f/8, ISO 400. For the detail shots I used my tripod and shot at f/22 or f/25, ISO 100, and had my shutter speed set to 18 or 20 seconds. (I had not so great lighting and wanted a wide depth of field.)
My background was Savage seamless background paper in Super White. It comes off as light gray in the photo because I don’t have the room (or extra strobes) necessary to “blow out” the background to make it pure white like they do in e-commerce shots.