Burda 5/2019 #104 is a knee-length wrap dress with ties at the shoulder.
The fabric I used is a white and navy leaf print ITY from Sawyer Brook that’s been hanging out in my stash for at least two years now.
I started with a size 38 and made my usual alterations:
- Lengthened 3/4″ between bust and waist
- Lengthened 1″ between waist and hip
- 3/8″ forward shoulder alteration
- 3/8″ sloped shoulder alteration
- Added about 3/4″ width to the upper back
- Took in the waist 1″
- Added a total of 4″ to the hip
- Definitely use 5/8″ seam allowances at the shoulder – the seam allowances double as the drawstring casing for the ties.
- Burda has you trim the 5/8″ seam allowances at the armhole and neckline before sewing the binding strips to them. I have no idea why they don’t just tell you to add only 1/4″ seam allowances to the armhole/neckline. Not very efficient! Plus, maybe I just read it wrong but they don’t have you trim the binding strips, which will leave you with binding strips that are about 1/4″ too wide when you go to fold them over and sew them. I would recommend making the binding strips only 1″ instead of the 1.5″ width in the instructions.
- I did a double-folded hem along the vertical edges of the skirt, using Design Plus double-sided fusible stay tape to keep everything in place for when I needed to stitch it.
- Make sure you use a really lightweight fabric. This fits looser at the waist compared to other wrap dresses, with some gathering/blousing as part of the style (the photos provided by Burda show the fit very accurately). I would categorize the ITY I used as medium weight, and definitely wouldn’t have wanted to go any heavier.
- As I mentioned in the previous bullet point, the fit at the waist is a little looser than previous wrap dresses I’ve made. Its super cool in the summer but is not quite as secure at the neckline as a tighter dress would be. Still, I don’t have any problems with it gaping.
- Unlike Burda 9/2006 #114 the skirt and bodice are one piece, rather than being separate pieces sewn together. The good thing about this is that it is more print-friendly and saves sewing time. The bad thing is that IMO it doesn’t drape as nicely as a separately sewn skirt piece would.
In other news…
Last winter we very suddenly lost our Great Dane Sallie to wobbler syndrome. Symptom onset was acute with almost no warning, and in the blink of an eye we were forced to put her down. For a few different reasons we decided to start looking for another dog sooner rather than later. Two weeks later we found ourselves bringing home an eight week old Great Dane puppy we named Hope. Yes, another giant dog…
Baby Hope has kept me very, very busy this spring and most of this summer, as she was an exceptionally needy puppy and I spent a good six weeks getting up 2-5 times a night with her. She also wanted to be rocked and held constantly.
She’s now 7.5 months old, roughly 100 pounds now, and my very best friend! When I come home from work she gets so excited its like she won the puppy lottery. She insisted on hanging out while I tried to take a few quick photos of my dress today. I’m so proud of my “little peanut.”