Another 2017 project I just got around to documenting…
Burda 08/2016 #124 is an unlined woven dress with short sleeves, split neckline detail, princess seams, Dior darts at the bust, slash pockets, A-line skirt, and self fabric belt.
To me it is the perfect office dress. Comfortable, stylish, and professional without being either too casual or too formal.
I used a winter white double-faced stretch wool from Apple Annie Fabrics. Looks almost exactly like the magazine version!
For the belt I used this 2 1/2″ belt buckle from Pacific Trim. I interfaced the belt with medium weight fusible weft interfacing from Fashion Sewing Supply. If I could do it all over again I would have used a hair canvas interfacing for more structure (like I did for the red version). I have to keep the belt cinched pretty tight in order to keep it from flopping around…
I used Pro-Sheer Elegance from Fashion Sewing Supply to interface the neckline facings.
I started with a size 38. Fitting adjustments included:
- Lengthened 1/2″ between bust and waist
- Lengthened 1/4″ between shoulder and bust
- Took in each back waist dart 3/8″, and lengthened each one 1″
- Added 3/4″ shoulder darts to the back
- Added 1/2″ width across the upper back
- Added 3/4″ width to the sleeves
- Extended the front Dior darts 1/2″
- 3/8″ sloped shoulder adjustment
- 3/8″ forward shoulder adjustment
- Added 4″ width to the hips
- Added 1/2″ width to the front waist
Due to the thick, spongy, and stretchy nature of this fabric I also took in the side seams a little bit (maybe an inch?)